First, we want to thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer driver with Daniel’s Care Van. Our brave riders and their families depend on us to get to their life-saving appointments, and it’s an honor for us to serve each and every one of them.
Second, thank you for your support of our founder, Jeri Jones, as she faces her own treatment for breast cancer. Her surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, August 15. Although we don’t know exactly what to expect in terms of recovery, right now we’re trying to get coverage for kiddos from August 7th through September 1st.
That’s where you come in! Sometimes, we know our riders’ appointments ahead of time, and sometimes we don’t. Because the business of treatment for our brave kiddos can be very unpredictable, we’re setting up an “on call” system for our team of volunteer drivers. We do not drive kids every day, but to support our mission, we need to be prepared to drive kids every day. To that end, we’re looking to you all to sign up for full days where you will be the designated on-call driver.
Click here to sign up!
On-Call Drivers: What to Expect
Please consider these factors when committing to a day:
- It’s very possible that we will not need you on the day or days you’ve signed up. If we do, we’ll let you know as soon as an appointment is scheduled, and absolutely no later than 5:00 p.m. the night before.
- If you are called to drive on your on-call day, it is usually NOT a full-day commitment. Depending on what the child needs, the appointment may be only a few hours.
- Typically, we pick riders up at their home, take them to their appointment, wait during their appointment (but not with the family), and then we take them home. You would also be free to leave if we have a good idea of how much time the appointment can take. We find it’s easy to pass the time with a walk around the hospital grounds, a good book, or work.
Click here to view our complete Volunteer Driver protocol.
Transporting the Brave is important work, and it’s also pretty easy! Just pretend you are picking up a friend and taking them to an appointment. None of our children have mobility issues or require any special assistance.
Again: Please click here to sign up for on-call Volunteer Driver Shifts.
Thank you all so much! If you have any questions, please contact Jeri at 720-339-7198 — she may not be able to drive but she can offer assistance over the phone. If Jeri is not available, contact Kristen at 303-915-2624.
We’re using SignUp.com to organize our On-Call Volunteer Driver program.
Here’s how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click this link to see our SignUp on SignUp.com: http://signup.com/go/rZKJjyy
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It’s easy – you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact us and we will sign you up manually.